A few weeks ago I went home for the weekend to visit my family, and of course my mom made sure that I left with something in hand. Every time I come over she’s always asking if I need this or that whether it be goat meat, crayfish, maggi cubes, etc. I always say yes when she offers especially when I can tell that she went out of her way to get it. Can’t have moms feeling unappreciated.
This particular weekend it was plantains, and as I was leaving she made sure that I remembered to grab the plantains by calling me 2 minutes after I left the house. I came back to my place to realize that the plantains she gave me weren’t ripe, and I personally don’t care for unripe plantain. Fast forward two weeks later and they still weren’t ripe so at this point I’m just over them.
Then a friend of mine who’s currently in Ethiopia doing her Peace Corps service mentioned getting plantain chips in the group chat and then it dawned on me. Unripe plantains make for delicious plantain chips! As soon as I got back from work I decided to make some and here they are! They actually came out way better than I anticipated so I decided to share how I made them.
What you will need:
- Prepare your cooking oil that you will use to deep fry the plantains. I used a large sauce pan, filled it about a quarter way with oil, and then heated it.
- Begin by peeling and cutting the plantains in a circular shape. (Plantain chips come out better when thinly sliced – see pic)
- Season the plantains with some salt for that added flavor.
- Make sure your oil is hot and then proceed to add the plantains in one by one. It is important that you add them this way in order to avoid them clumping together once they hit the oil.
- Fry the plantains until they are golden brown. This shouldn’t take long since they are thin.
- Remove from oil, allow to cool, and enjoy!
Here are my chips! I plan on making a large batch this weekend to have around to snack on. It doesn’t take long or involve anything complicated, and I promise you it’ll taste as if you bought it straight from the store.